Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Listening

The guidebook outlines a long 27 km haul to Terradilloes de los Templarios.  And it about killed me the last time.   So I didn't listen to the guidebook.  I listened to my body.  I know my pace is about 20 km a day.  So I stopped in Ledigos after 23.5 km.  That was enough for today.

The Camino on this section is long, flat and straight.  It follows the old Roman road.  They had good engineers so that we can walk on it 2000 years later.  The countryside opens up to the horizon and there is little in the way of shade as the warm sun beats down.  There is plenty of time and opportunity to listen to the quiet within.

Two days of walking has me listening as well to the aches as they begin.  As I arrived today, my knees and feet were sore.  It brings back memories.  :)  Most of the pilgrims at this stage have limps, blisters, calluses or other battle scars.  But I will catch up in no time. 

Today also included the joyful listening to pilgrim stories.  As paths cross time and again, little conversations start and build.  Monica who is a nurse from Majorca and Mark from Las Vegas both shared a little of what brought them on Camino.  And it's always a hoot when people learn that I am a priest.  

2 comments:

  1. Its good to know that you are listening to your body. God bless you as you walk on your pilgrimage
    I saw Rhashard today at lunch. He asked about you and I told him that you are on a pilgrimage. He said to send you greetings from him. I gave him one of your St. James prayer cards and he will be praying for you. We say the prayer for "y'all" every morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The countryside is beautiful and reminds me of the fields of Eastern Colorado where the wheat sways with the wind. The clear blue skies are beautiful. So enjoying your adventure. Kathy Flint

    ReplyDelete