Thursday, June 23, 2016

Minty fresh

Today's jaunt was 22km from Sarria to Portomarin.  It started out in the fog, but by midmorning cleared into another lovely day.  The countryside is gorgeous and dotted by lots of little villages for rest or food. 

As pilgrims get into town for the day it is time to rest and clean up.  Each albergue provides a sink in the courtyard for washing clothes.  Generally we wash them by hand in cold water. 

The other day as I was hanging my laundry on the clothesline to dry, I overheard an English man describe the process to his wife as 'shifting the dirt around'.  I got a large charge out of that. 

The clothes don't quite come clean.  Over the days and weeks, a perfume marks us pilgrims.  No wonder they use incense when we arrive in Santiago!

Since I brought a bottle of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap with me, my take on laundry is 'minty fresh'.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. Did this green remind you of Ireland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this green remind you of Ireland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your prayers as you walk along. Know that we are also praying for you. The pictures are gorgeous. God bless.

    ReplyDelete