Thursday, June 16, 2016

Seen and unseen

Another lovely day for a walk.  It was brisk and chilly this morning, down in the forties.  Today's walk was from Astorga to Rabanal, leaving the meseta and heading into the mountains.  Uphill most of the day with a strong headwind as well.  This is Maragato country....wild, rustic, and hauntingly beautiful.  

At the edge of Astorga was this lovely chapel, dedicated to the Ecce Homo  ( Behold, the Man).  Today it was open, so I went in to pray.  On the side wall of the chapel were pictures and names inscribed for prayer.  I saw Denise Thien listed, an American who was kidnapped and killed on this stretch of the Camino last year. So I prayed for her again....that her suffering would be joined to Christ's suffering.

The next town along the Way is Murias de Rechivaldo.  I was really looking forward to the visit.  Last time, a little cafe there had empanada, the first I had been able to enjoy.  Pilar, the splendid, rugged cafe owner, had been very good to me.  I hoped to see her and delight in her yummy fare.  But it was not to be.   The cafe was still there....but no Pilar...and no empanada.

When I arrived in Rabanal, the albergue had a special going on bacon and eggs.  What fun!  Wonderful comfort food at the end of the day.  As I devoured the feast I thought of the many times with family or parishioners just such blessings had come to me.

Along the Way in life, there are often little reminders that cross our path that remind of the ones who are in our hearts.  Maybe it is a place, or a smell, or a word, or a sight....and in an instant, for a moment... Whether seen or unseen, they are with us. 

Thanks be to God for such rich blessings to touch and to fill the heart.  Buen Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment