Saturday, June 14, 2014

Words

This is the post from the other day.  I couldn't get it to upload until now....

Today was a short day.  I was sufficiently tired that I slept in until 7:30am this morning.   I only walked 12km to Villafranca Montes de Oca....which happens to be celebrating today a local martyr named St. Indalecio.

As I continue to walk along, i see words or messages left by those who have gone before.  Graffiti appears in far too many places, both in the U.S. and here in Spain.   But along the Camino there are also wonderful words of love and encouragement.  Nothing helps keep up the strength for the walk like a well placed note.

The beautiful painted blue scallop shell carries the cry of greeting/blessing/farewell for pilgrims.... Buen Camino!   As pilgrims we say this many times a day to encourage each other.   What fun to have the very walls speaking a word of support!

With all the pain and soreness the last few days, when I saw this little rock in the middle of the path crying Help!.....I just had to giggle.   Lots of folks are sore or tired as the Camino takes its toll.  How wonderful to speak aloud what many are thinking!

At one waymark, a pilgrim had left a smile.  It certainly was appreciated by me as the long day was sapping my energy and exhaustion makes me more cranky than joyful.  How blessed to share a simple smile with one who is struggling along!

Going into Najera there is a full poem... Pilgrim, who calls you?...left for all to ponder in Spanish.   You can google this famous poem if you want a translation....but it asks the question of motivation for the pilgrimage. With the quiet time for reflection that this walking provides, it is good to allow the questions space to grow and deepen.

I  consider the words I speak...the words my life speak....are they graffiti or blessings for those that follow.....

1 comment:

  1. Your words are blessings for those that follow..... I just read Pilgrim, who calls you?...and it pretty much says it all. I continue to pray for you. God bless. Helen




    ReplyDelete