Thursday, June 19, 2014

Our Lady

In this lovely Catholic country,  not a town has gone by without a church dedicated to our Lady.   Many are dedicated to her under familiar titles like the Assumption and the Annunciation, but I was also tickled in Castrojeriz at the church -- Our Lady of the Apples! 

There are many statues of Mary in people's yards and on the sides of buildings.   Our Lady is forefront in the devotional imagination of the people here.   My favorite image so far has been Our Lady of the Camino in Carrion.  The kind pastor there spoke to all the pilgrims after blessing each of us at the end of the pilgrims' mass.  He pointed out the image in the side chapel of the church ( it was also in the stain glass of the rose window).  He tenderly reminded us that Mary walks with us on the Way.   She has heard the prayers of millions of pilgrims, and we can trust her with all that is in our hearts.  He then led us in singing the Salve Regina.

For me, devotion to Mary is sustained by the Rosary.   While many people pray the Rosary in church ( like our faithful crew on Thursday mornings at St. Matthew's) and many pray the rosary at home or while driving,  I enjoy praying the rosary most while walking.  In the rhythm of the strides and the rhythm of the prayers, a beautiful grace occurs.   I tend to walk faster when praying with our Lady, but it also goes easier and lighter.  I treasure our time together.

What title of Mary means the most to you? What is your favorite image of her?  Have you talked with her lately and told her what is on your heart?

3 comments:

  1. Of course Mary is with you, Fr Kevin, as your devotion to Her is devout! I pray my rosary on the drive into work. It's exactly 17 minutes from my house to the clinic. So she makes the trip so much easier! Enjoy your time and may God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your beautiful tribute to Mary. I have enjoyed your comments every day but this one is my favorite so far. You know how much I love Mary and the Rosary. And we pray the Rosary every Thursday morning for you.
    Carol Smith and I both agree that our favorite Mary is Our Lady of Fatima because she is holding the Rosary. Is there a picture of Our Lady of the Apples? I would love to see her. God bless. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine? La Conquistadora. She came with my ancestors (her image) and now resides in the Cathedral in Santa Fe. She tends to move about the city and blesses all, reminding us of our heritage and her constancy. I love her!
    Buen camino.

    ReplyDelete