Saturday, June 21, 2014

Leon

Passed through the beautiful city of Leon today.  It was founded by the Romans who stationed a legion of soldiers here...which is the basis for the city's name.   The long history is visible in the churches that have been built through the centuries.

San Isidoro Church was built in the 11th century on the old Roman foundations of the city.  St. Isidore, the patron saint of farming, is buried here.  So I spent some time praying for our parish garden at his tomb.

The cathedral is a 13th century Gothic church.   Unfortunately it was only open for the paying tourists this morning so I skipped out of that.

San Marco was built as a Renaissance church but now serves as a high end hotel.  For those who saw the movie 'The Way'...this was the fancy hotel the pilgrims stayed in.   With the local feast of Saints John and Peter currently in full swing, there was no room at the inn.

So I went out a couple of miles into the suburbs to Virgen del Camino.   This modern basilica was built in 1961.  The front shows the 12 Apostles and the Blessed Virgin Mary.   St. Matthew is the third from the left.  Can you identify St. James?

The schedule of my Camino only allows for one day in a city, but I could enjoy praying here for a while.   This is also the first time I saw the spire of that American institution so recognizable on the skyline. I didn't go by...but I smiled and made a comment before heading to the next church.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I am probably incorrect, but is St. James third from the left?
    OMG, you found a McDonalds.
    May God continue blessing you on your Way. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo what gorgeous pictures. I like the classic churches but I also like the more abstract and arty churches too! Thank you fro always posting the most gorgeous pictures......and you said you didn't take good pictures, beh! LOL
    Miss you, buen camino!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings! Once again it has been sheer joy to walk with you in spirit on your camino this week. Each morning the pictures, simple sharing, meditations and questions inspire prayer and contemplation for the day. So many footsteps on the journey, so many memories to cherish. Much love and continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking along at the historical beautiful churches when I see the golden arches. What a hoot!! You are so funny. I know you are having a wonderful journey and I am enjoying all the pictures, stories and meditations. I miss you very much. We will continue our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father you are a great photographer. We've seen this journey through your beautiful pics and inspiring posts and it's wonderful. I pray this pilgrimage is all that you hoped (and more). I miss you and am praying for your safe return.

    ReplyDelete