Monday, June 30, 2014

New Pilgrims

We walked the 23km from Sarria to Portomarin today.  This was the beginning of the home stretch.   Sarria is about 100km from Santiago and the beginning point for many pilgrims who want to do the minimum for a Compostela.  The guidebook had warned there would be more people on the Camino from here to Santiago.   There are... a lot more.

It has been a fascinating meditation on these new members on the way.   They are fresh.  They are clean.  They walk fast and with purpose.   Several large groups were encountered.   It reminded me of myself a month ago.  And made the change from the walk obvious and clear.   For those on the Way these many weeks, we are worn. The clothes and especially the shoes show the miles.   We take our time walking and know when we need to break for food or water.... rest or prayer.  Often alone.... companions leave space... for the Way is done within most of all. 

The characteristic of the new pilgrims that was most startling was they are LOUD.  They talk to each other a lot.   They talk incessantly.   There is music blaring. ... and all this in multiple languages simultaneously.   The silence and the solitude of the Meseta is gone.  But the Camino continues.  

I am reminded of the high and grace that comes when on a good retreat.   Then life returns and sustaining the grace is difficult to impossible.   Today was a glimpse of returning to life.... and yet still on retreat.  So the choice and the practice of that choice remain.   What pace do I want for my life? What fills my day? Do I make time for the Lord within and listen to His voice?  Do I walk gently? Quietly? Do I have a blessing ready for my companion along the Way?

1 comment:

  1. That's for sure....the end of a silent retreat is jarring. I always find myself not wanting to go home.......but it's so worth it while it lasts!
    Buen Camino.

    ReplyDelete