Friday, June 20, 2014

Camino tan

Having very fair Irish skin, I have never been one to tan.  I tend to burn, then peel, and be back to white.  As I walk along the Camino, where the weather has been wonderful and sunny, I am slowly getting a tan.  Keep in mind I wear spf 50 sunscreen everyday and a hat... but slowly even I am getting a tan. 

But it's not a pretty tan.  It's a Camino tan.   So my forearms are darker for the time in the sun as I swing my trekking poles along.   Since I am walking west each morning,  the back of my legs are brown but not so much the front.  It makes me smile as I think of the many who work on having and maintaining a perfect tan.  I don't have one of those.

As I walk along, my skin is exposed to the sun.  But I delight in exposing my heart to the Son.  It is quite a remarkable experience of mercy and love.  The rays of grace slowly grant peace, forgiveness, healing, dignity and life. Over time I trust the Lord will shape me more and more in his image and likeness. 

I am far from perfect, but still thankful for my Camino tan.

3 comments:

  1. Ah the Camino tan, I have read other blogs who mention this. Sounds like you are having a wonderful pilgrimage. I am enjoying your comments and pictures. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your kids are safely home from Catholic Heart WorkCamp in New rleans. They had a fun day at the beach on the way home. Joe and I met them at 11:30 tonight in the Church parking lot with fudgesicles. They were tired but happy for the treat. Apparently they were so well received that they have been invited to another parish's retreat in February in Tennessee! Good kids you have there Padre!
    Buen Camino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FOR Kathy Flint:
    Father, your tan reminds me of Denny every summer as he always has a shirt line that gives me a chuckle. The Wednesday Singing Breakfast group misses you but we are happy that you are occasionally able to enjoy bacon and eggs. However your current companions can't possibly entertain you like we can. I pray that Mother Mary continues to watch over you as you go poco a poco, una hora mas. Vaya con Dios mi padre. Kathy

    ReplyDelete