Monday, June 18, 2018

Salmon

Today I walked 15km to the tiny spot of a village named Brea.  But what made today's walk so different from all the others was the direction I was going.  Like a salmon swimming to the headwaters, I headed east against the flow of the pilgrims.  


The first thing that was overwhelmingly noticeable was seeing the faces of pilgrims instead of the back of their heads.  I could see the joy on one, the exhaustion on another, and surprise on more than a few.  

The many reactions made today delightful.  One group of Spanish abuelas was sure that I was turned around and tried hard to convince me to join them going to Santiago.  They were amazed I had already been.  A lovely lady from Houston shared that she was sad that Santiago was so close, because then the walk would be over.  A French lady was incredulous that I was still walking.  She barely wanted to make it into Santiago.  She didn't want to take another step.  Many, many people just pointed ahead... thinking I was turned around.  

As the pilgrims passed, I delighted in smiling and wishing them a Buen Camino.  Most will make it into Santiago today.... and meet the Apostle they have walked so far to see.  I got to see faith filled pilgrims being drawn closer to the Lord.  


1 comment:

  1. Fr. Kevin, this message is from Starr Helms
    .
    " I am finally catching up with your trip, and as usual, the pictures are great, but the words are inspiring. Thank you for sharing the joy and peace of the Camino with us"

    ReplyDelete