Thursday, June 8, 2023

Quiet walk

I took the day off from the tour to have a quiet day in Jerusalem for prayer and walking.  This is a lovely city.  I got up early in the hopes of Mass in Holy sepulcher.   It was grand to concelebrate up on Calvary at Station 11.  


After breakfast I visited St. Peter Gallicantu church, commemorating Peter denying Jesus three times.  



Then I sauntered down the Kidron valley to Gethsemane.   Fascinating archeological digs are going on dating back to the First Temple period ( around 1000BC).  There are also fine vistas of the Mount of Olives which is one enormous Jewish cemetery... also dating back hundreds and thousands of years.  


On the way back from Gethsemane,  I went through the Lion Gate in order to visit the Church of St. Anne.  It's on the site of the home of Sts. Joachim and Ann, the birth place of the Blessed Virgin Mary.   






No comments:

Post a Comment